June 15, 2005
Liz published this at 11:19 pm
D. Keith Robinson
I was recently asked if I had a list of do’s and don’ts that could apply to any blogger. There were a few that came to mind right a way, but after some thinking about it I’ve come up with quite a few.
It’s blogging though, there is an exception to every rule, so take these with a grain of salt.
My List of Blogging Don’ts
- Don’t try and be someone you’re not. Part of what makes a successful blog is developing a style and tone all your own.
- Don’t fear risks and failure. Take chances, experiment, try new things.
- Don’t try and pull the wool over your reader’s eyes. Be careful playing tricks on your audience. Trying to deceive and trick your readers can be tempting and may even be fun. I know, I’ve regrettably done it. However this can really backfire on you if not done right. Be very careful when knowingly leading readers astray.
- Don’t try to be too clever. Plain language works best for most blogs.
- Don’t use marketing speak. People want their blogs to be real.
- Don’t lie. You’ll get caught.
- Don’t steal. You’ll get caught. Plus people read your site because they want to read your thoughts. If you are really struggling for ideas try quoting someone else (be sure to attribute and give a link back) and making your own commentary.
- Don’t get upset when you make a mistake. You’ll make plenty. Acknowledge and move on.
- Don’t make significant edits to an old post without explanation. It’s ok to correct a mistake, but let your readers know you’ve made the change and why.
- Don’t ignore your readers. Engage them and be open with feedback.
- Don’t ignore criticism. You can learn quite a bit from criticizing comments your readers make. Look at it as a way to help make your blog better.
- Don’t get defensive. If you write a lot you’ll make a mistake and get called on it. Try your best to take a step back and look at the situation objectively. If you were wrong, admit that. Your readers will respect for for owning up and being cool headed about it.
- Don’t write when you’re intoxicated. Wait, scratch that ;0)
Got any blogging don’ts of your own? Add them in the comments.