Blue Ocean Strategy
Some business books you read once and set aside or pass on. Some stay with you like a friend because from the first word you read, they made sense … almost as if you knew what they were going to say before they said it.
Great business books offer a read that
- is seamlessly easy to follow
- have no extraneous information to slow things down
- add real “hit your forehead” meaning and back it up
- and do all that in a way that satisfies and makes you want to pass on what you learned.
and the authors follow their own advice in the way they build their book.
Blue Ocean Strategy meets those criteria brilliantly.
The Blue Ocean Strategy Four Actions Framework explains how to purposefully reframe the way customers value what a business does. If you don’t know it, you’re really losing out on a key strategy to move your business into a category of one. The book explains how to …
- Eliminate unneeded features the industry takes for granted. Translation: what the customer doesn’t see, need, or want.
- Reduce features and factors that are over-valued by the industry. Translation: what gets in the way of ideal customers wanting more.
- Raise the value of what you keep above the industry standards
- Create new features and combinations the industry hasn’t got which appeal directly to the ideal customers head and heart.
Blue Ocean Strategy is THE handbook on how to develop a unique, visible and compelling value proposition for yourself, your product or service, or your brand.
From the Amazon Review of Blue Ocean Strategy
Using dozens of examples-from Southwest Airlines and the Cirque du Soleil to Curves and Starbucks-they present the tools and frameworks they’ve developed specifically for the task of analyzing blue oceans. They urge companies to “value innovation” that focuses on “utility, price, and cost positions,” to “create and capture new demand” and to “focus on the big picture, not the numbers.” And while their heavyweight analytical tools may be of real use only to serious strategy planners, their overall vision will inspire entrepreneurs of all stripes, and most of their ideas are presented in a direct, jargon-free manner. Theirs is not the typical business management book’s vague call to action; it is a precise, actionable plan for changing the way companies do business with one resounding piece of advice: swim for open waters.
It’s going to be by my desk for a long time. Is it by yours?
–ME “Liz” Strauss
Work with Liz on your business!!
Buy the ebook. Learn the art of online conversation.
I’m a proud affiliate of