So, how can you better the situation so that youâre both productive and happy at the same time?
For many people who work from home, their days are littered with distractions â computer, Blackberryâs, phones, children, clutter, annoying family members and/or friends who think that your time is their time too.
Before you begin that new job from home, follow some of these guidelines to make for a better and more prosperous situation:
- Set up strategy – Lay down the ground rules for all those who you will or may come in contact with during the hours youâre supposed to be working. If you have a significant other and/or children, set aside the necessary time daily for them, but make sure they know that your 9 to 5 hours are for work, not play. It is very easy to get distracted in such an environment and fall behind on the work that needs to get done.
- Make the environment â If youâre working from your home in pajamas, are you really working or pretending to work? Many people who go from an office environment to a home working environment will note that they keep a similar routine. They get up at the same time five days a week, they tend to work the same hours each day, they get dressed as if they would be in a public workplace, etc. While lounging in your PJâs and slippers may seem like a relaxing way to do work, it doesnât always lead to productivity.
- Have the look of a productive office â When you are working from home, you want the âofficeâ to look and feel just like an office. That means buying the necessary equipment like a computer, printer, fax machine (if needed), etc. It is also good if youâre going to have clients coming by that you entertain them in a professional setting and make it so they feel like theyâre actually in an office environment.
- Record your equipment needs for tax purposes â While working at home may work for some and not others, there are some financial benefits to such an arrangement. First, you do not have to worry about commuting expenses and wear and tear on your vehicle. Secondly, you can deduct a number of items when it comes to doing your taxes. Many of the purchases you make for your business can be written off as expenses the next time around when doing taxes.
- Understand working from home comes at an expense â While there are a number of advantages to working from home, some find such an arrangement to be a lonely experience. Even though you may enjoy the lack of stress that often comes with working from home, it can come at the expense of feeling isolated.
- Take needed breaks â Given todayâs world of instant communication, it is very easy to get distracted while working at home, especially in the arena of social media. Clients, co-workers, friends and family can be tweeting, texting, sharing and more, leaving you feeling like there is no end. If social media is an important part of your job requirements, know when to take a break and turn off the cell phone, Blackberryâs, computers etc.
Working from home can be a very positive experience; making it work is oftentimes the job in itself.
Dave Thomas, who has authored a number of articles regarding digital copiers writes extensively for www.business.com an online resource destination for businesses of all sizes to research, find, and compare the products and services they need to run their businesses.