Being a business owner or employer, you have got more than one reasons to be concerned about the well being of your employees. You might think that you should only be concerned about their performance and productivity, regardless of how physically or mentally fit they are. After all you are just an employer and not a guardian, and as long as you have provided them with proper working environment, you are not responsible for their health and well-being. Besides, you are paying them good remuneration, so what’s the need to go one step ahead and invest in workplace wellness programs like health education, weight management coaching, on-site exercise equipment, healthy diet options, or activities like fitness boot camp?
Truth is, taking care of your employees’ health and well-being is extremely important, not only because it sounds ethical or virtuous, but also because it will directly affect your business. Let’s see how such an investment can make a difference.
- To start with, healthy workforce means fewer employees calling in sick. And knowing that too many sick leaves on frequent basis can be costing your business in more than one ways, it will save a lot.
- Even if the employees don’t take a day-off when they are not feeling well, they will not be able to put their best foot forward and perform their tasks proficiently. Even worse, they might pass on the disease to fellow workers
- Showing concern and taking care of your employees’ health will result in loyalty and a sense of attachment on part of your employees, and that alone is a cause worth investing in
- If your employees are not fully fit, they will be more prone to errors and mistakes, they wouldn’t be able to think clearly and come up with ideas, they will lack creativity, and they will lack the stamina or energy to get the things done
- You can plan while keeping the public holidays in mind, but some team members getting ill and going on sick leaves in the middle of an important project cannot be anticipated, and it will make it difficult for entire team to deliver in time
- Obesity is becoming a major cause of concern in developed countries, and looking at the nature of jobs, it will continue to grow unless businesses and corporations take concrete steps
- Good health and a general sense of well-being is a big morale booster, it can be quite difficult to motivate someone when he/she is not feeling good
All in all, healthy workforce will result in more work and better productivity, which will bring in more money and profit for your business, so the investment will more than pay off in the longer run.
Things To Do:
Now that you are (hopefully) convinced on the importance and benefits of investing in your employees’ health and fitness, here’s how you can put it into practice.
- We are what we eat, so you need to start from food or nutrition, by providing access to nutritious diet and encouraging healthy eating habits like bringing food from their homes instead of ordering junk food. You can invite in some nutrition expert for a small session to speak on healthy eating habits at work
- Lack of physical activity is one of the biggest culprits behind many ailments, for example obesity. Again you need to work on staff awareness, and allowing them to take small breaks for moving around. If possible, invest in an on-site gym or some sports equipment like table tennis or Foosball
- Another big contributor to bad health is work related stress. Not only it messes up our mind, but it can push us towards many different unhealthy practices like overeating or smoking. So you need to create an environment and work plan that reduces stress
- Use print outs and posters on walls to promote healthy lifestyle, for example motivational messages to help them quit smoking, cutting down on tea or coffee consumption, importance of organizing their work for minimum stress, or inspirational messages to raise their spirits
- Last but not the least; organize day outs, trips, and similar events on regular basis, while making sure that these events involve some adventure, sport, and lots of physical activity. Arranging an event like fitness boot camp or hiking trip can be a great idea to rejuvenate the minds and bodies