Why I Wish My Son Grew Up Blogging
I’ve been a publisher, worked with publishers. I’ve met publishers from all over the world — book publishers, software publishers, web publishers. Bloggers are web publishers. We do what web publishers do.
If you give that some thought something begins to become clear.
Blogs are micro businesses. Every blog, monetized or not, is an entrepreneurial publishing business.
10 Ways Every Blogger Is an Entrepreneur
Running a blog is an undergraduate course in business if you pay attention to what you are doing. From how they are built to how they are run, you can learn about entrepreneurial businesses from your blog.
- Great entrepreneurs often study the business they’re about to enter before they start their company. Great bloggers often learn about blogging that way too.
- Great entrepreneurs have a vision for what they are building. They gather data and historical statistics to keep improving based on customer behavior. Great bloggers do too.
- Great entrepreneurs know that their business needs to be an expression of their authentic self in action — their passion at work. Great bloggers blog their passion with transparency.
- Great entrepreneurs build a company that is a quality reflection of their vision down to the last detail. Great bloggers design their blogs to reflect their passion with the same care.
- Great entrepreneurs have great communication skills. Great bloggers do too.
- Great entrepreneurs know that a strong business stands on authentic relationships. Great bloggers are great at those.
- Great entrepreneurs realize that their business is only about choosing for their customers in what they say, what they do, how they smile, and every detail of what they offer and what they choose. Great bloggers configure their blogs to meet their customers, not the other way around.
- Great entrepreneurs celebrate their competition, because they know that game is won in serving the customers they love better than anyone else can. Great bloggers realize the same thing.
- Great entrepreneurs know that the best marketing is paying attention to the folks who already know who you are and want to help you be the best you can be — listening to your evangelists. Great bloggers are great listeners. It’s inspiring to watch them.
- Great entrepreneurs know that a great enterprise really belongs to the customers who helped to build it. Great bloggers might know that even better than great entrepreneurs.
What a difference it would have made if this small town girl had know half this before I started my first job in business. What a difference it would make if most businesses knew it now.
I gave my son a blog for his birthday last year.
–ME “Liz” Strauss
I’ll be talking about this very thing when I discuss our relationship to our blogs and our community at SOBCon 07. Register now! Friday is the last day the convenient rooms at the Sofitel Chicago Ohare are blocked at the supersaver rate.
–ME “Liz” Strauss
Check out the Work with Liz!! page in the sidebar.