Be the Original
My younger older brother was bigger than life He wa the coolest kid in the neighborhood. I was 8 and half years younger. I watched him all my life and I learned.
He was instant community. He was kind of like Tom Sawyer. He could smile around a corner.
- He had 5 girlfriends before he was 10.
- If he said “baseball,” the team formed before he finished the word.
- If he said, “hockey,” the ice was cleared and smooth.
- Kids called him “Bugs” and I never knew whether it was because of the famous bunny or the Las Vegas gambler. They were always too busy laughing to tell me.
- He’s the one who had me trained to come when he whistled.
- He still has a magnetic personality.
Grownups, teachers, kids, … everyone enjoyed his company.
Problem was some kids tried to be him.
Maybe we all did.
It never worked. Our voices were different. He was taller or his smile had a different tilt. We just became bad copies of my younger, older brother, instead of the really cool kids that we were.
So Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up trying to be Chris Brogan. He’s as magic as my younger, older brother … but only Chris Brogan can be Chris Brogan. Tell your babies to be an original.
Everyone has our own magic.
I know. I’ve been watching all my life.
–ME “Liz” Strauss
Work with Liz!!