I was going through my stats and had some time one afternoon this week. So when a social bookmarking referral came by, I naturally checked it out. I like to see where things stand with each of them and there are so many now its hard to keep track. I went to the search function and typed in Successful Blog. It’s always interesting to see what I get back.
One of the results was Robin Good’s How To Write A Successful Blog: Top Ten Tips.
To be frank, I thought it was about time I learned how–no, no not really. But I did think it would be a fine addition to the Successful-Blog Survival Kit.
Great Find: The Robin Good’s How to Write A Successful Blog: Top Ten Tips by Sharon Housley
Type of Blog: Blogging Basics
URL: Robin Good’s How To Write A Successful Blog: Top Ten Tips.
Target Audience:Bloggers who are just starting out
Content: Sharon Housley who manages of marketing for FeedForAll wrote this article. She offers ten points and notes on each one. The points are basics of blog building technique and tactics. I’ve add my own points at the end of her list.
1. Stay on topic.
2. Be informative.
3. Old news is not news.
4. Adhere to a schedule.
5. Write with clarity and simplicity
6. Make your text keyword-rich.
7. Quantity matters.
8. Frequency of posting is important.
9. Spellcheck and proofread
10. Subscribe to an RSS feed.
If you find this list useful, you also should know this about content.
- Write content of the highest quality
- Work to keep your writing voice consistent and friendly.
- Post at predictable times so readers can look forward to something new.
- Write about topics that you find relevant, that is, worth reading and talking about. In other words, write about things that are your passion.
- Respond to your comments, your readers are the only ones who count.
- Visit other sites and comment there, so that people see you as a reader too.
Hope this helps get you started!
–ME “Liz” Strauss