Building a Community
The irony is that so many of us work alone, yet we build communities. That thought struck me boldly when this week I heard three people say how much they were looking forward to working in an office with people.
That got me thinking that an essential part of knowing how to built a community is understanding what it means to be a community member.
On Monday when we were talking about how social media can help us build a better business, Richard Reeve beautifully wrote this post for me. He described his contribution to a community “barn raising.” He said …
When asked to come and help raise these boards, it means:
1. I realize that I need to bring along a team of five other folks I can count on to handle our given task. Wood is heavy.
2. Ask clear questions not only of what our team will do, but how it will fit into the overall scheme of the raising, so as to maximize the remaining sunlight.
3. While staying focused on the assigned task, realize that things seldom go as planned, so keep a flexible attitude and be willing to lend a hand when and where needed. The overall goal is more important than the parts.
4. The only result that matters, that every participant can take pride in the resulting structureâ¦
5. Bring your own tool belt. Who has fifty hammers?
Who wouldn’t want those values and motives in every community member … ?
When a business, a non-profit, or an organization builds a space for us and makes all of the decisions without us, it’s like moving into a house that doesn’t have any of our stuff. We don’t own it. We’ll always be visitors. If that business, non-profit, or organization lets us contribute as the house goes up, we become a part of the process and feel ownership. Of course we don’t have time to contribute building to every space in which we participate, but when we do, it changes the the way experience that community in profoundly personal way.
What do you want to contribute as a social media community member? What can we expect from community members before we start?
–ME “Liz” Strauss
Work with Liz!!