July 3, 2007
Liz published this at 1:04 pm
Time Management and Research
What is blog reading and commenting to you? Is it entertainment, interaction, or research for your work? How much time do you spend on the average day reading and commenting on blogs. Think about that before you read further.
I’ll do it too.
Ready? Whatever our answers, we have defined blog reading and commenting to us and quantified how much time we invest in them. Now consider the time we have available in a day. What percent of that time is blog reading and commenting?
Does that leave enough
- time for our family and friends?
- time for our work?
- time for ourselves and for giving away?
If people read as many feeds as they say, I’m guessing it does not. Time is a resource we cannot replace.
Ten Blogs on Blogging
Everyone seems to know Darren’s ProBlogger, our friend from SOBCon Lorelle.Wordpress.com, the “evil” John Chow.com and Successful-Blog here. These are ten others in (no particular order) that offer consistent and quality information about blogging as well.
- A List Apart
- Alister Cameron, Blogologist
- Daily Blog Tips
Top Ten Blogs for Writers
For the Top 10 Blogs for Writers Mike Stelzner asked his 20,000 newsletter readers to participate in the nominations. I’ve shortened his definitions of the quality that each blog represents.
- Brian Clark’s CopyBlogger: does an amazing job of helping writers improve
- Deborah Ng’s Freelance Writing Jobs: for freelance writers seeking new work
- Tom Chandler’s Copywriter Underground: regular doses of inspiration and writing tips
- Liz Strauss’s Successful-Blog: amazing insights into the craft of writing
- Angela Booth’s Writing Blog: something useful for all writers
- Kristen King’s InkThinker: improving the written word
- Anne Wayman’s The Golden Pencil: gold nuggets of information to freelance writers
Carson Brackney’sContent Done Better: write better copy and make a living (now by Michi Beck)
- Dianna HuffÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s B2B Marcom Writer Blog: marketing communications copywriting
- Allison Winn Scotch’s Ask Allison: For writers looking to break into the publishing world, be sure to check this one out.
Top Ten Blogs on Making Money
The Top Ten Blogs About Making Money in which Shane spends an entire blog post explaining how he came to choose his top ten.
- Self Made Minds
- Entrepreneur’s Journey by Yaro Starak
- John Chow.com
- Net Business Blog
- Andy Beard
- Dosh Dosh
- Mike’s Money Making Mission
Top Ten Web Analytics Blogs
This is the April 2007 update ranking from Occam’s Razor by Avinash Kaushik. Be sure to read the post that details how the ranking is done.
- OccamÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Razor
- Web Metrics Guru
- Google Analytics Blog
- Web Analytics World
- Web Analytics Demystified-Eric T. Peterson’s Analytics Weblog
- Increasing your websiteÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s conversion rate
- Unofficial Google Analytics Blog
- Lies, Damned LiesÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
- WebAnalytics.be Blog
- Web Analysis, Behavioral Targeting and Advertising
I gathered this set with the intention of an offering that would cross blogging cultures. In that way, I’m hoping we all might explore, expnd our tastes, but leave room to let some go early on.
We choose from thousands of books to read and movies to see. Let’s do the same with the blogs that we read. I offer this set of 4 lists of 10 blogs with the hope that we’ll keep the those give us the best return on our investment.
How do you choose the blogs that serve your purpose?
–ME “Liz” Strauss
If you’d like Liz to help you find your strategy, click on the Work with Liz!! page in the sidebar. Is Your Business Stuck? IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve Found a Way to Help
20 Blog Promotion Guides to Inform Your Strategy
Strategy: How to Get Maximum Benefit from Complex Link Lists
The 5-Point Strategy to a Powerful Network
Money Strategy, a Dead Horse, and Folks