Two weeks ago, I wrote about finding your voice when the tribe has spoken. Losing a job is a sure a way to feel we’ve lost our tribe, but it’s not the only one. A relocation, a divorce, a huge setback of some sort, or some way of thinking can make us feel apart.
Lots of folks have lots of reason for feeling we’re on the outside.
It’s almost overwhelming. The world can seem to be one huge tribe and we can seem to be the only one who’s not a part. Of course, that’s flawed thinking. Ever met a group of people who could agree on anything huge for very long? The whole world is too big to hold a meeting about who belongs.
It’s not how the world sees you. It’s how you see yourself that counts.
Which tribe do you want to be part of? You get to pick. Now is a better time than any other to get the word out about who you are. We have social tools to launch a campaign and so many ways to find a new tribe.
The key to it all is in one word — chosen and used wisely.
Connect — Online and Off
- Connect with the things that made you successful in the past.
- Connect with the things you want to accomplish in the future.
- Connect with people who are positive and who see the person in you that you like.
- Connect with your family and friends and talk about what they’re doing.
- Connect with positive people who can teach you.
- Connect with people you find interesting and smart.
- Connect over coffee, at church, at any venue that invites learners.
- Connect online and off.
- Connect with people who enjoy helping you connect.
Every person you connect to is an opportunity to find out about what you’ve been missing and what you can learn to survive.
Keep these thoughts in mind when you connect.
A connection is not as simple as clicking on the “follow” button. It’s finding out about a person, learning what you have in common, showing what you have to give, not what you need to get.
Solid connections are built by listening and then sharing back. Taking the time to connect with fewer, quality people can be more efficient — each person you get to know well can open the door to a whole network of friends.
The Three Rules of How to Connect
- Connect with an open, hungry, beginner’s mind to the situations that teach you.
- Connect with an open, generous, fearless heart to people who want to help you.
- Connect with purpose to the future that you couldn’t imagine until now.
How will you know when you’ve found the tribe where you belong? You’ll not be thinking about who you are when you’re with them, you’ll be thinking about what you’re learning and what you can offer them.
And if you have a tribe … your tribe will strong if you invite new folks in.
How might we reach out to help someone who needs that first connection?
–ME “Liz” Strauss
Work with Liz!! Buy Liz’s ebook to learn to the art of online conversation.
Register for SOBCon09 NOW!!
Connect to a Power Network.