(Updated in 2020)
Get Curious – Ask 20 Questions
What are you thinking right now? Are you thinking about your answer to that question?
We’re good at answering questions. We learn that in school. Sometimes we get so busy preparing our answers that we miss what’s going on around us.
10 Questions to Kickstart New Thoughts
Imagine you just landed on this planet. You’d have a passel of questions and a totally beginner’s view. The key is not to fix things, but to find new reactions to what you encounter.
Take that beginner’s view. Get curious. React and respond to what you encounter. Ask questions about everything and the ideas start showing up. Start with these 20 questions to kickstart new thoughts.
- What do you see what you look at me? What do you see when you look at yourself?
- What do you hear when you listen to all of the sounds around you?
- What is it that everyone wants to know, but is afraid to ask? What are the silly things we don’t tell people that they should know?
- What do we do that is touching or ridiculous?
- What do we take for granted that seems to have no logic?
- What would you do if you had only one day to spend here?
- What of our ordinary buildings, machines, and gadgets would stymie and fascinate you?
- What about our planet would amaze you?
- What about humanity would inspire you?
- If you had a conversation with yourself, what would you talk about?
The ideas are waiting in the details. Twist your view; add a dash of imagination; and take a look.
10 More . . .
I have 10 more questions. They’re all about you.
- Do you do stuff like keep your ketchup bottle upside down or choose songs based on what others are listening to online?
- Do you find money that you forgot about in a jacket pocket?
- Do you get nervous when a boss starts a friendly conversation for no apparent reason?
- Do you know a story that people ask you to tell over and over?
- Do you wonder what else you might have done with all of the time that you’ve been blogging?
- Do you know the most important thing you’ve learned?
- Do you know what gadget you would invent if you could?
- Do you have a secret for dealing with folks who cause stress wherever they go?
- Do you know what you want to be if you grow up? Will you share an idea or two?
- Do you wonder what it’s like to be me the way I wonder what it’s like to be you?
If you answered “yes” to any of those, and you decide to write a post, I’d read your answer. I bet that lots of folks would.
Remember react and respond to what you encounter. Ask questions about everything and the ideas start showing up.
–ME “Liz” Strauss